Thursday 15 September 2011

INSIDE OUT – THE LIFE OF A FASHION DESIGNER - PART 2

In part 2 of my series looking at the paths taken by emerging designers, I'm focusing on Elephtheria Xenos.


Elephtheria is not only a fashion designer, she also personally designs and prints her own fabrics which gives her an additional unique selling point. Her prints, along with her clothing, is inspired by everything vintage as well as everything around her and she is a fan of Calvin Klein and Dolce & Gabanna due to the simplicity of their designs.

So how did she start out?  “I began studying fashion at college” she said. “It was something I loved doing and I received the highest grades in my college year which was why I decided to take a degree in it at Derby University.”

She added: “I really enjoy designing my garments then seeing them take shape as they’re made up. My designs are made from jersey or my own printed fabrics and I also like to mix the jersey with woven printed fabric to create contracting textures.

“It’s our in-house designed fabrics that make the brand unique along with our customisation service – we give our customers the opportunity to choose their own fabric, sleeve and neckline style, length of garment, etc, giving them a real input into their garment. I feel it’s important to get the right fit and you can’t get this with any high street brand. All our garments are couture and made to a very high standard.”


So what’s it like on a daily basis? “It is hectic; apart from the web development site, I do everything. I do the PR, designing, pattern cutting, grading fabric design, sourcing, events, everything and it’s a nightmare trying to organise myself and prioritise all my tasks.”

Elephtheria says it’s sometimes challenging to organise her team but with lots of effort, the work gets done in time. However, her biggest struggle at the moment is raising awareness of her brand.  “I’m working hard to get featured on as many blogs and get involved in as many fashion shows as possible in order to overcome this,” she said.

Keep an eye on the Fashion Killerz Facebook page for details of her forthcoming events.

How did she get involved with designing her own fabrics? Elephtheria explained: “As I was going through my degree in Fashion Design, I would always design my own fabric. I would always have an image of the print and colour of the fabric I would want to use, so it was harder for me to try and find this vision of my fabric so I created it instead. I didn’t have any training for this but as I finished university, I looked into design and print design jobs and landed my first job working with a freelance designer who taught me all I know about print design. I managed to sell my prints to Japan and America. This was something I did to bring money in while I was building by business.”

She continued: “I’m really proud that my business is now up and running and I now need to keep up with all that comes with fashion, making sure releases are sent in time, planning for my next collection, trying to get involved in shows. It takes a lot of organisation.”

And what does the future hold? Elephtheria has big plans. “I aspire to become well known for my customisation, design and fabric design. I would like to be known for doing something different.”

Well, I’ve seen Elephtheria’s collections at a number of fashion shows and I can vouch that they have a sophisticated simplicity and they are superbly finished. You can buy a selection of her garments at www.fashionkillerz.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment