Monday 14 March 2011

High Street fashion v individuality

OK, so we all know that the latest fashion trends are filtered down from the top designers to the High Street but what I want to know is, why do people buy these latest trends?
Is it  because it’s safer to follow what everyone else is doing, because you don’t want to stand out from the crowd, or you don’t want to be labelled ‘out of touch’?
Perhaps it’s simply because it’s the most convenient way to buy your wardrobe? Maybe you genuinely  like what’s on offer? Or is cost the deciding factor between mass produced clothing and more unique alternatives?
Why do YOU buy the clothes that you do? Do you wear clothes that you don’t really like, or don’t really suit you just because they are ‘on trend’ or because you found something on a sale rail that was just too good a bargain to ignore but which will inevitably spend years gathering dust at the back of a cupboard? I think we’re all guilty of that one!
For me, the High Street is great for staples like t-shirts and jeans, but I much prefer to create my own style by adding unusual items from backstreet boutiques, independent designers’ online shops or making/ customising my own outfits. If you take the time to look around in less obvious places you can come across some amazing finds, unearthing new and exciting designer gear at affordable prices.
I don’t really care what the latest fashion is; I don’t like my style being ‘dictated’ to me. Spring/Summer fashion trends will apparently include fruity neon colours and bell bottom trousers but I can tell you now I most definitely won’t be wearing them. No way, Jose!
Now, I’m just going to clear out my stash of ill-considered fashion purchases… If you spot an incy wincy leopard print mini skirt on ebay at some point soon, it wasn’t mine. Honest!

Michele Turner
http://www.fashionkillerz.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment