Wednesday 27 April 2011

ROYAL WEDDING – BAH HUMBUG!

The eyes of the world, along with probably about a zillion camera lenses, are focused on the Royal Wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton. Well, not mine!

I’m bored of hearing about it, I’m not interested in what the wedding dress is like, or what Kate is going to wear afterwards. Unfortunately, the poor lass will be under scrutiny from now on every time she steps out of her Anglesey home. She’ll become a fashion icon whether she likes it or not; when she gets it right, the critics will adore her but they’ll soon hiss and boo if they believe she’s made a fashion faux pas.

I feel sorry for her. I mean, she’s really just a normal human being who just happened to fall in love with a prince. Imagine if you couldn’t so much as pop down to the corner shop without making sure every bit of you looks immaculate (then again, she probably won’t venture out to the corner shop, but that’s not the point!).

What if you got a bad case of the munchies and you were simply desperate for a bar of chocolate, but you looked a right state? Personally, I’d just throw on something clean, (not necessarily ironed – it’s only my corner shop after all!), pin back my hair and make a dash for it, hoping I didn't bump into Mr Gorgeous en route). The last thing I’d be doing is spending a couple of hours making sure I was coiffed, suited and booted and thoroughly presentable. Nothing comes between me and my chocolate fix – when my hormones kick in and I need chocolate, I have to have it NOW!

Imagine what it must be like being told what you can and can’t wear. What if Kate got a sudden urge to go wild and wear a goth/punk/rock ensemble but royal etiquette dictates she is now destined only to wear simple, conservative dresses and suits with sensible heels? Imagine what sort of life that would be, to not have the freedom to express yourself by the way you choose to dress.

The worrying thing for me is that so many people will want to emulate her style, just as they did with Princess Diana. A bleak future of Kate clones may be on the horizon but I’ll stick to my own style, if it’s all the same to you.

If you want to create your own style and not be a copycat, check out http://www.fashionkillerz.com/, where you can find a whole range of unique clothing and fashion accessories all created by independent designers.

No comments:

Post a Comment